At this time of year, the sun is getting hotter and the days are getting longer. The Spring Bank Holiday offers the perfect opportunity to gather your friends and family, spark up the bbq and have a good old fashioned pool party. Of course, no pool party is complete without fun, games, food and drink so UK Pool Store is here to guide you on the path to hosting success!
Fun and Games
Let’s face it, when your friends are over, you’ve got a drink in your hand and some good food on the way, you want to keep the kids entertained with minimal input. Not always, of course, but sometimes it’s nice to sit back and just relax! Here are few ideas for some garden based activities for the kids.
- If you’ve got some concrete, or paving slabs in the garden, allocate each child their own section and supply them with some chalks. They can doodle away to their hearts content, and the pictures will easily wash away afterwards.
Set up a treasure hunt
- If you’ve got a bigger garden, you could hide various goodies around and set them off on a treasure hunt. You can provide a list of all that’s hidden so they can tick them off as they go.
- If you’ve got a simple camera for them to use, or if you don’t mind them using your mobile phone, you can ask the kids to get their best wildlife snaps. Challenge them on things like ‘best insect’, ‘best bird’ or ‘most colourful’ etc.
- Of course, we can’t talk about Garden Fun without talking about pool games! We’ve got a great selection of games you can play in the pool, from basketball and volleyball to balls, rings and sticks to dive and collect from the bottom of the pool. Of course, Health and Safety comes first, so always make sure a responsible adult is keeping watch when kids are playing in the pool.
We all love a good BBQ but we all have our own favourites. There are lots of great sites about with various recipes, but here’s a few tips for making sure you’ve got the basics covered.
It’s good to make sure you’re stocked up on all the things you need, so don’t forget:
- Paper plates
- Plastic cups
- Plastic/wooden knives and forks
- Bin bags
- Tin foil / Cling film
- Serving Platters
- Hand sanitiser
It all depends on whether you want to make your own stuff, or buy stuff ready to go. Some ideas for food to buy/make, however:
- Corn on the cob
- Flat mushrooms
- Buns (hot dog/burger)
- Potato Salad
If you’re making your own burgers, the temptation is to stuff your patties with all sorts of ingredients, but simple is the way to go. Make sure you use a good quality mince with a 20% fat ratio. You can ask your butcher for help with this, but ‘chuck steak’ mince is best. For a really tasty, juicy burger, mix in 50g of finely chopped or minced bone marrow to each 500g of mince. All you really need to add is salt and pepper, and I find a beef stock cube adds a depth of flavour. There’s nothing wrong with adding some other herbs, or finely chopped onion as you like, but I find letting the meat do the talking works best.
For vegetarians, Jamie Oliver has an absolutely delicious vegetarian burger which will have even the meat eaters longing for it!
Fish wise, remember that it’s delicate. Tin foil can often be your friend, with just a dab of olive oil or butter creating a mini oven. The best fish I’ve ever BBQ’d was fresh caught mackerel (nothing beats straight out the sea mackerel!) which were then filleted due to the size of them. The fillets then had a bit of salt, pepper and paprika and were delicious, put directly onto the BBQ grill.
For your drinks, you don’t want to be traipsing in and out the house all day, so try and find a big tub, like a black bin (cleaned out, obviously!) or similar and fill it with ice and water. Make sure to have enough top up ice in the freezer. You can then put all your beers/wines/ciders/mixers and soft drinks in here to pull out a cold one when needed.
You might want to try and spice the party up with some home made cocktails. A Mojito is a classic summer drink, and Jamie Oliver has a fantastic recipe. For other ideas, here’s a list of 10 great cocktails to make at home.
Of course, don’t forget the kids or designated drivers, here’s some fantastic and delicious ideas for ‘virgin’ cocktails!
Remember, always drink responsibly, especially when around the pool area and if kids are around.
For extra peace of mind, we’ve got some great pool safety gear, which is a must for every home pool.
Now all that’s left to do is make sure the grill is clean and ready to go, set up a good playlist and invite your friends round!
We hope you enjoy your bank holiday weekend!